Friday, November 21, 2008

Reflections on the letter written for the free home

I wrote somethings that were on my heart this morning, affirmations of what God's word says about his people. That we are wonderfully and fearfully made, that he has adopted us as sons and daughters into his kingdom. That He is love. That in Him we are one. When I posted it on the site to win the Veneta home.. it sounded conceited and I felt sad. The other sad part was the double posting. I reflected on my positives which is a rare thing. I so desperately struggle to beat the deep depression that threatens to swallow me up. I so desperately want a home that my husband can come to once he is well. I want a place to build on the ambitions hopes, plans and visions that God has given me. I am a visionary with a very inventive mind. I need a solid home base and workshop to flourish. All of my visions are about establishing resources and events that will help our community and world. I want to open my home to those in need. I want to succeed and give back to the world meaningful things. I want to be generous from my fruitfulness. The hope has been greatly lacking until last night when I heard about the house on the news. I had just been talking to my mom about Veneta being a place to consider for a home should she move. Financially a miracle would be the only way I could own a home.. but then again I believe in miracles so I invested the $19.95. I have been praying for a miracle but I cant say that my needs are greater than anyone elses. I feel blessed even though my needs are great and my challenges are many! I don't care to list or dwell on them because my potential is so much greater than my circumstances. Blessings to all of you! Love Shell

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2008 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! :) It's hard to imagine tiny little baby being all grown up, though I know it will happen sooner than I think! Time flies when you're having fun, after all! :D

I haven't been actively working in the field of restorative justice since I was in school (for criminology) and shortly after when I volunteered at a women's shelter for a few months. Sadly it isn't easy to find an actual job in the field, or at least I've had a hard time with it. Though I do try to practice a peacebuilding/restorative lifestyle, whatever that might entail at a given time! When I was in school I just became enthralled with the whole notion of restorative justice and what it can do for society as a whole. I worked at the centre for rj at my school for the last year and a half of my degree and got to participate in prison healing circles and found it very interesting and beneficial for all involved. It seems like such a 'simple' thing to incorporate into our system of justice, yet it is so often overlooked as a useful tool.

Anyway, it's late and I am rambling! What sparked your interest in restorative justice?

 
At November 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM , Blogger pearlinprogress said...

Oh hi! A real response! :) Yippee!

Well I went through quite a few thefts around our home and one in which friends chased the thieves down. Two teens had stolen my sons new bike just after his birthday and other sports things. As they were leaving our garage they opened my grandfathers dove cage and threw a skate at the birds. They all flew away. The loss was great because my grandfather had passed away just months before and the weather wasn't good for doves. The police were called and the boys were confronted in our driveway. The police called their parents and because the parents were not home, the police let the boys go. I didn't want to see the boys locked up necessarily but I did want them scared. Hand cuffed, taken to the station and held for a time. I was mad that they were just let go. Then as time went by I really just wanted an apology and maybe some yard work to pay us back. I had more compassion on their home situation and wanted to befriend them I guess.
After several more theft situations I became pretty bitter towards thieves and thought there were two types of people that I wouldn't be able to love.. Thieves and haters.. Then I met a man and fell in love and it turns out that he had a past of being abused as a child, introduced to drugs at 8, and that scenario led to acts of theft to feed his addiction. Unfortunately I married him before he had recovery and learned that I am an enabler, codependent type.. And even worse I was introduced to a life of"an inmates loved one." It's a very lonely place to be and you feel like you are the only one in that situation. When my husband was put in prison for violating parole as he relapsed and lost his job.. I pondered the justice system and noticed things that worked and thought I knew what would work better than just warehousing people.. Yet I thought alone and researched like a mad woman. Then a couple years down the road my husbands parole officer retired and started a restorative justice committee. It was a weed and seed funded project and I went to a training and sat on a board that was made of community members and we came up with ideas on how to help offenders understand the pain of another's loss and ways to rebuild a relationship with the community by paying back what was taken and making amends. It was great. Yet my husband was his own victim now, and I was the victim of his drug abuse choices and we never came up with a plan for him personally. So that is a very long winded answer to your question. Whew!

I hope that you are well and feeling excited about that little one.. I really miss babies. And if you have any questions about any mom things I would love to help.. It is funny talking like this.. but nice.. Thanks! ~ Shell

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home